TO APPANOOSE COUNTY!
Come explore diverse jobs and careers, educational opportunities, recreational outdoor amenities, and the great quality of life we have in Centerville and Appanoose County, Iowa.
Appanoose County and Centerville have a variety of businesses that are actively looking for veterans and transitioning service members. Our community has thriving commercial, retail, and manufacturing industries, and our Home Base Iowa Businesses have pledged to hire veterans to fill these jobs.
After reviewing potential jobs and setting up interviews, we’ll cover up to $250 of your gas, food and lodging to take a trip to Appanoose County for interviews and to explore our community. Contact us to learn more about our Interview Travel Vouchers.
OUR HOME BASE IOWA BUSINESSES:
Appanoose County Engineer
Appanoose County Sheriff
B and K Machining
C and C Machining
Casey’s General Store
Centerville Fire Department
Centerville Police Department
City of Centerville
Hillphoenix Specialty Products
Jef-Scot Metal Industries, Inc.
Mercy Medical Center
Wells Vehicle Electronics
Indian Hills Community College
The Centerville Campus of Indian Hills Community College is located on the western edge of the city of Centerville, Iowa. Indian Hills Community College was founded in 1966 and draws students from all over the state of Iowa, across the nation, and even around the globe.
IHCC students at the Centerville Campus may take Arts & Sciences courses, as well as enroll in several Advanced Technology programs, including Construction Technology, Sustainable Agriculture and Entrepreneurship, and Viticulture. There are also programs available in Health Sciences: Associate Degree Nursing and Practical Nursing.
Our Centerville Campus is also home to the Falcons (the Indian Hills baseball team), as well as the beautiful Pat Daugherty Field, named for a former Falcons coach.
Morgan E. Cline School of Sustainable Agriculture
The IHCC Centerville Campus features a state-of-the-art Sustainable Agriculture Entrepreneurship program. The Sustainable Agriculture Entrepreneurship program is designed to provide landowners, farmers, and young adults with the entrepreneurial skills necessary to start a new or further develop an existing land-based business.
Many people in this program plan to apply the skills they learn to their own agriculture business or work for an agriculture–related business. Others will choose to continue their education by transferring to a four–year college or university. Whatever your intended outcome, you should have a strong desire to have a sustainable business on land you manage or own.
IHCC Veterans Affairs Office
The IHCC Veterans Affairs Office provides assistance in obtaining VA education benefits to veterans and other eligible persons. The goal of the Veterans Affairs Office is to provide exemplary support services to military veterans, active duty, members of the National Guard, reservists, and other eligible persons while they are attending Indian Hills Community College.
Since 2009, G.I. Jobs has included Indian Hills Community College on its list of Military Friendly Schools® based on the college’s academic programs and reputation, as well as its support to student veterans. IHCC proudly serves over 150 veterans. We Serve Those Who Serve Us.
721 N. First Street Centerville, IA 52544
Phone (800) 670-3641 (641) 856-2143
Finding Your Career
- Find current job listings from area employers seeking veterans.
- We’ll pay for your trip with free Gas, Food & Lodging vouchers when you come to visit for job interviews and to explore our community.
Relocating & Home Ownership
- Receive $1500 in vouchers toward a home purchase or renovating your home.
- Closing fees have been waived by participating banks.
- Receive city tax abatements for homes purchased in Centerville.
- The Water Deposit required to set up utilities is waived.
- Participating attorneys provide discounts on legal fees for home purchases.
We recognize the entrepreneurial potential in veterans and have developed incentives specifically for veterans, and their spouses, who want to start their own businesses.
- One Year of Free Membership in PACT
- Low-Interest loans from Appanoose Area Economic Development
- Discounted legal services for business start-ups
Quality of Life
- A free one-year YMCA Membership for veterans and their families
- Some of the best outdoor recreation opportunities in the Midwest (Nope, the country.)
State Wide Incentives
- Speak with us about using our local incentives along with these statewide benefits offered by the State of Iowa.
- A $5000 grant under the Military Homeownership Assistance Program.
- A reduction of $1850 in property tax assessments for homes owned by veterans.
- A 100% property tax exemption for service disabled Iowa veterans.
- State income tax exemption on military pensions.
- Up to $10,000 from the Injured Veterans Grant.
- Veteran designation on Drivers Licenses and IDs.
- Specialized Veteran license plates.
- Lifetime Hunting or Fishing License for disabled veterans for a $7.00 fee.
- Iowa Veterans Trust Fund providing financial assistance for services such as unemployment compensation, transitional housing, medical assistance, and others.
- War Orphan Tuition Assistance and Branstad/Reynolds Scholarship Fund for children of deceased service members.
- Up to $2,700 in tuition benefits for current Iowa National Guard members.
- Honorary high school diplomas for veterans that did not graduate due to entry into the armed services.
Disclaimer: The Centerville-Appanoose County Home Base Iowa Community in no way guarantees employment, housing or access to other HBI incentives, including, but not limited to Travel and Housing Vouchers. Availability for vouchers is on a first-come, first-served basis and are available based upon sufficient funding. Incentives offered by individuals or organizations, including, but not limited to, banks, attorneys and non-profit organizations are available based upon the internal policies of those organizations and are not guaranteed.
The Appanoose County Historical Society is a non-profit, historical, educational corporation that manages the Appanoose County Historical and Coal-mining Museum and sponsors a variety of annual historical events.
YMCA offers swimming, athletic and fitness facilities, and a curriculum of classes, special events, and other programs for area youth and adults.
AEDC’s mission is to facilitate the retention, expansion, attraction, and creation of businesses and jobs, and collaboratively work to enhance the overall business climate of the county.
PACT is a volunteer organization of individuals and businesses working together to advance economic growth and promote and preserve the community assets and a positive business climate.
Main Street’s primary purpose is to establish Centerville’s historic square as an economically viable center of commerce through organization, promotion, design and economic restructuring.
Appanoose County Schools
Annual Events Include:
Appanoose County abounds in outdoor recreation amenities. We have hundreds of miles of trails, more than 11,000 acres of water, and over 20,000 acres of public land for camping, hiking, fishing, hunting, and more.